Friday, March 18, 2011

Naughty, Naughty

So, yesterday was St. Patrick's Day. We bought corned beef for dinner and I hadn't intended on eating any, due to the whole 'beef is horrible for me' thing... but it smelled so good I couldn't resist. So, I had a tiny piece.

Yeah, I regret -that- decision. My stomach was pissed at me the rest of the night and it felt like I'd eaten a piece of cement. It wasn't that I felt guilty for breaking my 'veggie' ness, but because I felt like someone punched me in the stomach afterward.

So, lesson learned. It doesn't matter what kind of cow it is - I can't eat it. I guess we'll see what happens when Thanksgiving comes around. After months of not eating meat, I can't help but be a little terrified at what will happen if I break down and eat turkey. Although, really, I always preferred the 'sides'... so maybe I won't need to.

However, restaurant review!

So, here in Eugene, Oregon is a little itty bitty bakery that's out of the way out off E. 13th on the UofO campus called, "Barry's." Now, I have never heard of this place and had never been in there, but my fiancee' and I decided to give it a whirl and go in. He got a salami panini and I got a veggie burger on challah bread.

Now, I expected it to be your run-of-the-mill garden burger... but I was horribly wrong.

They used Don Lee platties! I was so excited, I think I ate the whole burger in about three minutes. Mixed in with all the fixings and the challah bread, it was quite possibly the best veggie burger I've -ever- had. Even against the ones I've made myself. Now, I'm pretty sure this is a Jewish bakery, so I'm not surprised now at the use of Don Lee patties, but that doesn't mean I was any less excited.

I also tried the bread on my fiancee's panini and nearly ate the entire hunk that was left.

So, vegetarian or not, if you want good coffee, good baked goods (I bought a 'magic bar' which is coconut, chocolate, and some other stuff), then go to Barry's Espresso & Bakery in Eugene, Oregon.
 They also make veggie sammiches among other things, so you can find something to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment